The Jobs You Can Do if You Have STEAM Skills
The reason that kids sometimes find it hard to be fully engaged in what they learn in the classroom is that they don’t understand how it relates to real life, or how it will open up job prospects for them later on in life.
The difference with STEAM subjects is that there are so many ways that you can demonstrate how they relate to the real world, and there are many exciting career opportunities for people with STEAM skills.
Why choose a STEAM-related career?
Even though you might think that encouraging your little one to develop an interest in science or engineering now is a little premature, it’s never too early to get kids interested in STEAM. Having STEAM skills will open a lot of doors for them in life. The facts speak for themselves;
- 72% of all UK businesses rely on people with STEM skills, like accountants or IT technicians
- There is a definite skills shortage in the chemical, pharmaceutical, and energy industries, and 40% more students will need to study STEM-related degrees just to meet the demand
- During their lifetime, graduates in STEM subjects (especially chemistry and physics) will earn around £90,000 more than graduates in other subjects
What kind of job can you do if you have STEAM skills?
- You could work in entertainment, from designing video games, to creating special effects for films
- You could work in healthcare, inventing equipment like scanners or working in drug development or research for pharmaceutical companies
- You could work in the energy industry, which is always working to develop new greener technologies and renewable energy sources
- You could work in construction, designing buildings, civil engineering, or town planning
- You could work in agriculture, developing new farming techniques that feed more people
- You could work in IT, developing new technologies for use in smartphones and other devices, or managing telecommunications networks
- You could work in finance, managing the accounts of organisations from small businesses to huge global operations, or work in banking
- You could work for a space agency, working on satellites and surveillance equipment
There’s no better time to get your kids interested in STEAM!
STEAM Lab is a social enterprise that runs classes and workshops aimed at teaching kids about science, technology, engineering, art, and maths-all while having fun!
We believe that every child deserves the chance to reach their potential and have a brighter future, whatever their background.
Contact us to find out more about our classes and workshops.